I am really looking forward to figure and portrait painting. During my first and previous OCA course ‘Drawing 1’ it was the figurative part where I found eventually a new confidence in my artistic approach. I developed an intimate relationship between media and surface in a constant interaction and engagement during the process of the making.
I want to leverage this into my painting approach. I outline here for myself the key elements:
- Process as a constant interrogation and embodiment of my own perception
- An additive and subtractive approach engaging time
- Multilayering as a constant investigation
- Exploration of surface and space
Besides those I want further to elaborate elements that I started to investigate during the first two parts of this course:
- Blur and edges, illusion of reality and ambiguity of perception
- Expressive abstract strokes to convey a unique sense of reality
- Juxtaposition of abstract and tonally rendered areas
- Colour use for expressive visualisation
- Luminosity and interplay of shadows
Additional project that I want to pursue:
- A daily self portrait – to practice, to depict mood, and to follow my own learning curve (till assignment 3).