My personal encounter alongside the process of deterioration and memories and the notion of the uncanny.
Step#1: Overview achievements, scope of project and context in a corner of my studio
… a kind of triptych – a narrative of my process:
=> quite a complex picture of various aspects => I need to reduce and focus
I will consider my goal and questions that I will ask myself while discerning my paintings.
- Visualising my personal embodied encounter and the emotional responses
- Leaving space and time for the observer to respond without conveying symbolic meanings
- Conveying a sense of the ‘natural’ process of deterioration
- Conveying a sense of memories and transition: inside-outside / internal-external
- Creation of a sense of place
What is the sense of place for me?
- Surrounding environment, nature
- Residential building as home and human presence
- Deterioration of building as process
- Human absence as a signifier for uncanny sensations – unhomely
- Windows and doors: in german ‘heimelig’ and ‘heimlich’ – in english homely and hidden, concealing; transition inside – outside / internal – external
- Signs for human presence and absence, e.g house number, closed shutters, protection fence
- Reflections, my inner perspective
I am going to experiment in four areas and to see which approach may be the more appealing and successful. For each of them I will make a separate post and will conclude on all of them afterwards. For all approaches I will consider how to embed my subject matter.
- Monotype: inspiration for layers, step sequences and not-control => see http://ocapainting1.stefanschaffeld.com/?p=3717
- Overpainting photographs: combined layers of meaning and sensation => see http://ocapainting1.stefanschaffeld.com/?p=3723
- Texture, Index and abstraction: painting incl found materials => see http://ocapainting1.stefanschaffeld.com/?p=3883
- Process painting: documentation => see http://ocapainting1.stefanschaffeld.com/?p=3885